On January 30, the Undersecretary of Commercial Strategy of the Chamber of Foreign Trade’s Executive Secretariat (STRAT-CAMEX) opened a public consultation on a request for reducing the Import Tax of certain toys classified under heading 9503 of the Mercosur Common Nomenclature (NCM). The request was submitted by Hasbro do Brasil, which requests a reduction from the current 35% rate – the maximum allowed by the World Trade Organization – to 20%.
The products classified in heading 9503 and subject to public consultation are:
- Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars, doll’s carriages and similar wheeled toys;
- Dolls representing human creatures;
- Toys that represent animals or other creatures;
- Electric trains, including tracks and accessories;
- Construction sets and constructional toys;
- Toy musical instruments and apparatus;
- Other toys.
Any change, if made, shall apply only to the Brazilian import tax rate, and will not imply any change in the Mercosur Common External Tariff.
Interested parties may express themselves by following the guidelines available on the authority’s website until 17 March 2020, by means of an electronic form.